Thursday, July 22, 2010

California, you're so nice...California, your paradise

The Runaways had the right idea, although the whole "your paradise" lyric has me thrown. So California is nice but it is not its own paradise, it is my paradise? A grammar lesson within a punk rock song and once again the 'your' vs. 'you're' debate rages on...thanks Joan and Sandy!

Welcome to the blog. Let me give a brief introduction: I am East Coast born and bred and in the thick of my quarter (plus 1)-year crisis. Living in DC since 2006 has allowed me to witness what I like to call "the four year itch." Surprisingly, this has nothing to do with the fact that DC was the top US city for STDs in 2009. What happened was that within four years of graduation, every single one of my friends found themselves doing one or more of the following: Switching jobs within the same city, switching cities for the same job, going back to grad school, finishing up grad school or moving to LA without any family or friends, a bunch of student loans, and no job. Last one just me?

It's simple, really- I like writing, I like music. So here is my plan: Go to shows (fun!), write about them on my fancy new blog (fun!), share new bands with friends. FOOLPROOF. What qualifies me to be a music critic you ask? You mean besides my Rolling Stone subscription and collection of Chuck Klosterman books? Just a love of music and damn good taste. Oh, and Sports Illustrated for Kids published one of my basketball poems when I was 11, so obviously I have mad writing skills.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! Can't wait to read your reviews! Good luck in LA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! Now I can keep up with the new talent in LA and the best places to go. Thanks

    ReplyDelete